Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Our jog along the Wellington waterfront

We've just had a gorgeous Saturday, and it finally feels like spring!

Jake and I took a jog into the CBD and decided to bring the camera along. Great idea, right? I can't take any credit -- I'm stealing borrowing the idea from a funny and compelling blog called Wellington Road. You should check it out.

Our route went through some of the gritty industrial part of town, but I decided to reserve our snaps for the beautiful waterfront where there was so much going on.

Above is a shot of the very far north part of the waterfront, including the East-by-West ferry that will take you across the harbour. And below is near Frank Kitts Park, which I learned hosts a craft market every Saturday. Luckily for me Jake brought a bit of cash on our run, and I quickly spent it all at the market.

A bit farther on is the farmer's market, but we didn't make it there. Our attention was stolen by all the activity in and around the harbour. Plus we had a chance to put our brand new camera -- and its amazing 14x zoom -- to work.

Above is one of the red tug boats that looks so small when we watch them from our house. Below is the snow-capped Rimutaka Range within sight of downtown. These mountains form a ridge that runs parallel to the east coast of the North Island.


While I don't know these people who are swimming, I can tell they are Kiwis. I think Kiwis are somehow immune to the cold waters here. There's no way I could get into this water, but maybe that's just because I'm used to Missouri lakes that are warmed by 100-degree summer days.

We witnessed nearly every form of transportation -- roller-bladers, stand-up-paddle-surfers, bicycles, sail boats, freight ships, tug boats, little fishing boats, helicopters and airplanes.

Wellington has had its share of dreary, overcast, windy and rainy weather lately. But when we have a good day, it's sure hard to beat.
Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Juli said...

Thanks so much for the shout out. Your photos are gorgeous. We should try for a meet-up one of these days!

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

So pretty! I love the mountains in the background :-)

Sarah (Chez Lee) said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos!! I just LOVE Wellington on days like that. When hubbie and I first arrived here in 1997 we used to meet for lunch on the waterfront whenever the weather was fine. Days like that make you want to shout from the rooftop, 'Whoop! Whoop!'

Phil said...

Beautiful photos. Think I'll stay here now.

jamie said...

Thanks ladies! That means a lot coming from you.

And Phil - too late, you're coming back to Kansas City with us. No need to worry about earthquakes, but get ready for tornado alley!